Gone Bamboo Anthony Bourdain 9781841953670 Books

Gone Bamboo Anthony Bourdain 9781841953670 Books
This is the first fiction book by Bourdain that I have read (Loved Kitchen Confidential and his other cooking stuff) and I enjoyed it a lot. I love his acerbic wit and the characters he developed were well rounded. The story moved at a good pace, there was a little sexy stuff thrown in but nothing graphic. There was some fairly strong violence, but it was appropriate to the story line and wasn't too graphic for my taste. I would definitely read more of his fiction stuff after reading this.
Tags : Gone Bamboo [Anthony Bourdain] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Henry and Frances, ex-New Yorkers and professional assassins, are living the good life in their retirement home - a luxury hotel suite in an idyllic,Anthony Bourdain,Gone Bamboo,Canongate Books Ltd,1841953679,GAR9781841953670,Caribbean Area,Fiction,Gangsters,Crime & mystery,Crime & mystery fiction,Crime, Thriller & Adventure,Fiction General,MysterySuspense
Gone Bamboo Anthony Bourdain 9781841953670 Books Reviews
All in all, the book was very entertaining. I read it on the airplane on a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta. I heard it was set in St Martin, and since we've been there before and are returning later this year the setting piqued my interest. The book starts out a little rough, but when the author eases up a little on the excessive adjectives it becomes much more readable. I didn't think the ending was great though. In fact, he tried to tie up loose ends after the climax, but the last part reads as though his publisher had told him that the book was too long and he needed to trim something. If that happened, it probably took the wind out of his sails and he took the easy route of chopping out final chapters. Who knows. I also think that Frances' character could have been developed better. When you read it, you'll find that there are definite inconsistencies with her personal skills (well... not all of them) and her vocational background. It's kind of odd to miss that with a main character. There were many parts of the book that made me roar with laughter though. It was well worth the read.
It's just a great book with wonderfully drawn characters. It grabs you, pulls you in, and doesn't let go.
This was the choice of my book club after Anthony Bourdain's death. I thought the plot was simplistic and the characters were not well developed.
Aside from the big brotherish fact that I was asked to review this book within days of finishing it on my kindle even though I actually had ordered it a few years ago, I enjoyed the book well enough--enough to read another fiction book of his. I've read other nonfiction books by Bourdain (Typhoid Mary and Kitchen Confidential, which were much better), but this was the first fiction novel. He writes well. He's a little too stereotypical in his characterizations of the mafia types, but maybe that's true to fact.
In my opinion I think this is the best of Bourdain's novels. I read this in a few days on a beach and it was perfect. I liked the characters and it was a page turner. Great writing. I highly recommend especially if your going to a warm beach on vacation.
Whole book was all tongue in cheek. Filled with so many bad and loathsome people who such characters, they make you laugh. Since just about ever character is a bad guy - your always routing for a bad guy. And laughing at yourself too. Bit of farce and lots onef fun
Bourdain has written better - much better. This was slow. The story was unconvincing. The 'hero,' Henry, was shallow and fake, as was the gangster he was supposedly trying to comes to terms with (having been hired once to kill him...) Compared with 'Bone in the Throat,' this was very poor fare indeed. One expects more, because his earlier books were riviting and entertaining. Like His T.V. Travel series, clearly the man has gottern jaded and tired and his delivery now lacks sparkle and verve. He wrote this in the same tired voice he uses when doing one of his exotic dining scenes in far-off place, 'yet another snake consumed (yawn, yawn) Had he writtem 'Bamboo the same way he wrote Kitchen Confidential, it would have been a best seller. Instead it was a disappointment.
This is the first fiction book by Bourdain that I have read (Loved Kitchen Confidential and his other cooking stuff) and I enjoyed it a lot. I love his acerbic wit and the characters he developed were well rounded. The story moved at a good pace, there was a little sexy stuff thrown in but nothing graphic. There was some fairly strong violence, but it was appropriate to the story line and wasn't too graphic for my taste. I would definitely read more of his fiction stuff after reading this.

0 Response to "[GY2]⋙ PDF Free Gone Bamboo Anthony Bourdain 9781841953670 Books"
Post a Comment